One of the main challenges facing Irish start-ups is getting access to working capital. Banks will often refuse to lend to start-ups in the development stage as the company is not yet trading and there is no track record of turnover and profit.
Our commercial law Solicitors have been working with start-ups, emerging businesses and entrepreneurs for years, and in 2018 our Corporate Law team was a winner at the Finance Monthly Law Awards. Many of our clients have been with the firm from the beginning of their journey, and we have taken enormous pride in helping them achieve success. Our commercial law partner, Gríana O’Kelly, has specific expertise in corporate funding and equity investment. She and her team have a clear understanding of investor/lender expectations and motivations. This allows them to provide practical, valuable advice to companies beyond which other law firms may provide.
What are the investment options for Irish SMEs?
following are examples of some investment options for small to medium-sized companies in Ireland:
- Venture capital funding – a venture capital firm may offer investment to start-ups where they see long-term growth potential. The investment from a venture capital firm can vary from loan investment to equity investment.
- Enterprise Ireland offers investment opportunities to new companies in Ireland of varying levels.
- Management buy-ins can bring certain advantages to a start-up company. This involves senior management or key employees subscribing for shares in a company in return for a cash investment.
How can a Solicitor assist me regarding securing investment or funding?
challenge for a start-up company or an SME in negotiating investor/funding
deals is maintaining control in the company. Often the subscription shares will have
stronger, preferred rights than the ordinary shares held by the founders so on
a realisation or a winding up, their money takes priority. In addition, an experienced investor can
easily exploit an entrepreneur’s lack of experience to their own
To secure a
successful investment or funding package, founding shareholders of a company must
have the appropriate contractual protection in place. We will advise you on all aspects of the
investment process from due diligence to negotiation of the investment
With Gríana and her team on board advising you, you can walk into negotiations confident that you understand every aspect of the proposed deal and have the leverage to counter if required.
Why choose Lavelle Partners to advise and represent you in Investment and Funding contracts?
- We are a partner-led firm, meaning the partner you meet will manage your case and be available to you if you have any questions.
- Our Solicitors are approachable, intelligent, and pragmatic.
- When it comes to commercial law matters, we find out what success means for you and then work tenaciously to achieve your objectives.
- Our clients remain with us long-term and most of our new clients come to us via referrals. In addition, most team members have been with the firm for 15-30 years. We know our clients, their families, and their businesses inside out and this helps us provide exceptional service and gives people confidence in the quality of the advice and representation they receive.
- Our advice is to the point; we will not ask you to choose between five different options, we will advise which one will protect and promote your best interests.
further information on how we can help you with all investment and funding
matters in Ireland and the EU, please contact Gríana O’Kelly Lavelle Partners
in confidence on (01) 644 5800.