Asbestos exposure and related illnesses
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous silicate mineral.
There are six types, all of which are composed of long and thin fibrous crystals, each fibre being composed of many microscopic “fibrils” that can be released into the atmosphere by abrasion and other processes. Before the realisation that asbestos is extremely harmful, it was used in many products, such as roofing, pipe lagging, floor tiles, ceiling tiles, and insulating boards, to name just a few.
You can no longer buy or use asbestos in Ireland, as it has been banned throughout the EU. However, it can remain in older buildings, industrial sites and building sites. Many are exposed to asbestos during building renovations at home or in their place of employment.
Injuries and illnesses caused by asbestos exposure
Exposure to asbestos can lead to several very serious conditions, such as:
- Lung cancer.
- Asbestosis, a lung disease caused by scarring and carcinoma as a result of inhaling asbestos.
- Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, kidney and throat.
- Scarring of the lung lining.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that develops in the lining that covers the outer surface of some of the body’s organs. It is often linked to asbestos exposure. In most cases, this disease has been the consequence of exposure to asbestos in the workplace such as in shipyards, building sites, power stations, factories and workshops.
What might constitute an injury as a result of asbestos exposure?
If you have contracted any of the above because of exposure to Asbestos, which is the result of the negligence of a third party, such as an employer or a public body, you may have a claim for personal injuries.
In the event of a diagnosis of asbestosis or any of the other illnesses mentioned above as a result of exposure to asbestos, it’s crucial to make inquiries as soon as possible to identify the source of exposure and determine if there’s a negligent third party.
What might a claim for personal injury due to asbestos exposure cover?
Claims for asbestos exposure due to third party negligence may cover two areas of loss:
- Pain and suffering due to asbestos exposure; and
- Specific costs relating to treatments required as a result of asbestos exposure. This can include costs already incurred, such as transport, accommodation, medical treatment, and expected future costs such as loss or earnings and care needs.
Why choose Lavelle Partners?
- Lavelle Partners have successfully managed many cases of injury or disease caused by asbestos exposure.
- Our personal injury team, headed by a partner, Avril Scally, who herself has over 18 years’ experience in personal injury claims, place client care at the centre of everything they do.
- We have both the legal expertise and understanding of the real-life challenges faced by individuals and their families following such events.
- Our solicitors will manage the process entirely on your behalf; compiling the information necessary for your case, including obtaining your medical records and necessary reports.
What our clients say
“I could not have had a more positive experience in using the services of Lavelle Partners. A top class and personable company that comes highly recommended!”
Mr O’Ceallachain, personal injury client, 2022.
For further information on making a claim for personal injury due to exposure to asbestos in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or email Avril Scally at [email protected]
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.