Cosmetic surgery has become increasingly popular and accessible in recent decades, with an ever-greater range of possible procedures being made available.
With the demand for procedures rapidly increasing, the number of clinics now providing cosmetic surgery services has grown considerably to match demand. Plastic surgery is not confined to traditional medical settings; increasing numbers of non-medical professions are training in and providing less invasive procedures, which still carry considerable risk if not completed in a controlled manner.
Regardless of the type of procedure, no surgical intervention is without risks, and it is the role of the health care professional overseeing your care to ensure every risk is explained and controlled as much as possible.
It is essential for anyone considering cosmetic surgery to research the reputation of the clinic and surgeon undertaking the work. Price should never take priority over experience, training, and skill of the expert you place your trust in. And depending on the nature of the procedure, you may be able to find a practitioner who specialises in the precise area of the body you wish to have addressed.
With high demand, however, and the resulting increasing supply of specialists available to provide often lucrative cosmetic surgery, some providers may not meet the clinical and care standards that the wider industry strives for. In this context, mistakes can and are made.
Any error during cosmetic surgery, as with any surgery, can carry substantial risks which could, in extreme circumstances, lead to death or disability. Even less serious errors can leave a patient scarred for life and exacerbate any previous or underlying problem they were seeking to correct.
Can I bring a claim for cosmetic surgery medical negligence?
If you have suffered a personal injury as a result of negligence during a cosmetic procedure and this has caused you loss, you may be able to seek recourse.
To prove medical negligence, it must be shown:
- That the standard of care you received fell below that of a competent physician of the same level and;
- This negligence caused damage or injury.
You may have experienced medical negligence under the following circumstances:
- You feel that you were not provided with enough information on the risks of your procedure.
- You feel that your procedure was not performed to industry standards or a defective product was used during your procedure.
- You did not receive sufficient aftercare.
If you have reason to believe you have suffered damage or injury as a result of a mistake made during a cosmetic surgery procedure, we may be able to assist you. When you first contact us, we will listen carefully to the details of your case and advise on whether you may have a valid claim.
With any surgical case, one of the biggest issues to consider is that of consent. All surgeons need to ensure they have their patients consent and that their patients are aware of all the risks and complications associated with their procedure.
We offer advice in the following specialist areas of cosmetic surgery
- Breast surgery claims.
- Dermal filler claims.
- Laser eye surgery.
- Laser treatment negligence.
Advice for complications with cosmetic surgeries abroad
Many Irish citizens travel abroad each year for the purpose of accessing cheaper medical treatments including dental, surgical and cosmetic procedures. Those who opt to travel for surgery should be aware that any procedure of this nature carries risks and all travellers should familiarise themselves with the risks and benefits of any procedures. They should also discuss their treatment plans with their GP prior to travelling.
Irish citizens travelling abroad for any medical treatment are advised to carry out independent research. They should be aware that the EU Cross Border Directive and Treatment Abroad Scheme does not extend to countries outside the EU.
Why should I consider Lavelle Partners to handle my case?
- We understand how traumatic and upsetting mistakes made during cosmetic surgery can be. At the heart of our practice is our passion and desire to put your needs first.
- Lavelle Partners have successfully managed many cases involving injuries following cosmetic surgery medical negligence.
- Our team have been helping clients since 2004, with decades of combined experience across the team, and place client care at the centre of everything they do.
- From the first moment you speak to one of our solicitors, we will listen to your case carefully and with empathy and will only recommend advancing your case if we believe you have a valid case.
- We have both the legal expertise and understanding of the real-life challenges faced by those affected by cosmetic surgery injuries.
- Our solicitors will manage the process entirely on your behalf; compiling the information necessary for your case, including medical notes and managing the submission of your medical negligence claim.
- We will manage any subsequent questions and/or provide further information where required.
By allowing us to handle your claim on your behalf, you can focus on what is most important – your recovery and care, or that of the family member or loved one.
For further information on making a claim for Cosmetic Surgery medical negligence in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or email Avril Scally at firstname.lastname@example.org
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.