Commercial Dispute Solicitors
Lavelle Partners’ Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department have earned an enviable reputation for its approach to commercial disputes; achieving considerable success for our valued commercial clients across Ireland.
Our team are business people at heart, and as such, we understand the real-world and industry-specific realities of our clients. It is this understanding allied to the wide range of legal knowledge available within our full-service law firm which affords our clients a considerable advantage over their opponents.
We can offer a range of commercial dispute resolution methods, ranging from mediation and conciliation and arbitration to formal litigation involving the Courts. When you first discuss your matter with our commercial disputes team, they will listen to the details of the case, and recommend the possible courses of action available to you, including the advantages, disadvantages, timescales and costs. We will also consider factors such as reputational protection, confidentiality, damages and the chances of success.
What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)?
When you first discuss your matter with our team, they will seek to determine the best possible route to a resolution. In many cases, but not all, ADR may offer the best approach. ADR methods, such as mediation, conciliation, and arbitration all aim to achieve an amicable outcome to a dispute by using non-legal means. ADR has become increasingly popular in Ireland in recent years due to its considerable benefits; it is typically cheaper and faster than litigation involving the Courts, and crucially it helps preserve business relationships. ADR dispute resolution relies on an independent and neutral third-party who will either play a role in helping the parties to find their own conclusion (mediation) or make a determination on their behalf (arbitration).
What if formal litigation is required?
If formal litigation is necessary to advance your interests, Lavelle Partners will act decisively and pro-actively to put together a case which will provide the best chance of an optimal outcome. Lavelle Partners regularly represents clients in all Court jurisdictions nationwide. Before taking any action, we will work to understand what success means to you and explain the options available. And if your matter is urgent, we will provide dedicated attention, issuing injunctive proceedings where necessary.
Our commercial dispute practice areas
Lavelle Partners can act in a range of complex commercial disputes, including those involving:
- Shareholder, Director and Partnerships
- Professional Negligence
- Solicitors Negligence
- Banking & Financial Services
- Insurance Disputes
- Probate Disputes
- Property & Building Disputes
- Employment Law & Pensions
- Landlord & Tenants
Our experience in commercial disputes speaks for itself
In recent years, we have successfully advised and represented many commercial entities across Ireland in relation to often complex litigation and disputes, including
- Acting for the Clerys’ concession store owners in a claim against the provisional liquidator, Ciarán Wallace and the vendors of Clerys’ trading company
- Acting for NAMA and Financial Institutions in proceedings to reverse fraudulent asset transfers
- Acting on behalf of Receivers appointed over various companies and properties and advising the Receivers on an ongoing basis in respect of landlord and tenant matters and general debt recovery and litigation matters
- Acting for the United States Trustee in Bankruptcy in the bankruptcy of David Drumm and successfully obtained an Order in Aid in the High Court allowing the US bankruptcy to be recognised in Ireland. This was the first application of its kind in Ireland
- Acting for Financial Institutions and NAMA in several high value High Court/Commercial Court proceedings against a number of borrowers seeking summary judgment on foot of loan agreements and personal guarantees.
- Advising Financial Institutions and NAMA on debt settlement agreements, negotiating and drafting Deeds of Settlement which included portfolio sales of assets
- Acting for an Oil and Gas Exploration company, in a USD$305m breach of contract and misrepresentation action in the Irish High Court against a group of investors who contracted to fund drilling operations in a North Sea oil exploration project
- Acting for Financial Institutions and individual clients in professional negligence actions against Solicitors, Accountants, Financial Advisors, Architects, Surveyors and Engineers
- Acting for companies and individual clients in actions against insurance and reinsurance companies where cover has been rejected and claims unfairly denied.
- Acting in various shareholder, director and partnership disputes
- Acting for NAMA in successfully obtaining an injunction restraining a public auction from proceeding which would have affected NAMA’s interest in certain properties
- Acting for a group of high net worth investors in a High Court negligence action against a major Stockbroking firm
- Acting for the beneficial owner of high value properties in multi-jurisdictional trust litigation
- Acing in High Court Defamation proceedings against Facebook
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.
For further information regarding commercial disputes in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800.