In most cases, gynaecological examinations and procedures proceed fully as planned and are performed by a competent medical specialist.
Sometimes, however, medical errors do occur, leading to significant physical and psychological trauma for the patient affected. This may also have the additional impact of discouraging the patient from placing trust in the health system to perform routine health screening and checks in the future.
An error made while in the care of a medical professional working in the field of gynaecology or obstetrics can give rise to a claim for gynaecological or obstetric medical negligence.
Lavelle Partners have significant experience in handling complex medical negligence cases resulting in gynacological or obstetric injury. Our specialist gynaecology and obstetric medical negligence solicitors, headed by Avril Scally, understand that patients affected may feel deeply traumatised as a result of what has happened to them, and accordingly we will always ensure a female medical negligence solicitor is assigned to your case.
What types of gynaecological/obstetric injury may lead to a claim?
Gynaecology medical negligence claims relate to problems with the diagnosis and medical treatment of disorders of the female reproductive system. Obstetric medical negligence claims, on the other hand, are concerned with errors made prior to, during, and after childbirth.
There are many circumstances which may lead to claim for a gynaecological/obstetric injury due to clinical negligence, including poorly or unnecessarily carried out procedures such as:
- Anterior/ posterior repairs
- Caesarean section
- Cancer treatment/surgery
- Cosmetic surgery
- Cervical cerclage
- Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
- Endometrial ablation
- Fertility treatment
- Ineffective sterilisation
- Labour and delivery
- Myomectomy (uterine fibroid removal)
- Oophorectomy (ovary removal)
- Salpingectomy (fallopian tube removal)
For information on making a claim in respect of a birth injury due to medical negligence, please visit our birth injury claim page.
It may also be possible to seek recourse in the event of injury, damage, or disease due to failure to provide, or due to delays in, diagnosis or treatment of a gynaecological or obstetric condition, including:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Gestational diabetes
- Pregnancy-induced hypertension
What are the potential health impacts of gynaecological or obstetric injury?
As a result of gynaecological or obstetric injury, depending on the precise area of damage and the subsequent treatment and care provided, patients may suffer long-term consequences. Obstetric negligence may have permanent implications for mother and baby, meaning two lives may be significantly affected. Some patients as a result of medical negligence may find it harder to become pregnant or may even become infertile. Patients may also suffer ongoing pain, blood loss, infection, an inability to have sexual intercourse, or urinary incontinence.
Can I bring a claim for a gynaecological or obstetric injury due to medical negligence?
To bring a claim for a gynaecological or obstetric injury due to clinical negligence, it will be necessary to provide evidence that:
- The standard of care you received fell below a satisfactory standard, and;
- This negligence caused damage or injury.
To prove your case, we will compile evidence, including medical records, and seek expert medical opinion.
What may a gynaecological or obstetric injury medical negligence claim cover?
Claims following the confirmation of gynaecological or obstetric injury due to medical negligence may cover two areas of loss:
- Pain and suffering due to the injury; and
- Specific costs resulting from the injury caused. This may cover costs already incurred, such as transport, accommodation, and medical treatment, and expected future expenses, such as physical therapy and care costs. The costs you receive will be based on the precise injuries suffered and the circumstances of the case.
How Lavelle Partners can assist you to bring a claim
- Lavelle Partners have successfully managed many cases of gynaecological or obstetric injury due to medical negligence.
- Our team have been helping clients since 2004, with decades of combined experience across the team, and place client care at the centre of everything they do.
- From the first moment you speak to one of our solicitors, we will listen to your case carefully and with empathy and will only recommend advancing your case if we believe you have a valid case.
- We have both the legal expertise and understanding of the real-life challenges faced by individuals and their families following such events.
- Our solicitors will manage the process entirely on your behalf; compiling the information necessary for your case, including medical notes and managing the submission of your medical negligence claim.
- We will answer any subsequent questions and/or provide further information if required.
By allowing us to handle your claim on your behalf, you can focus on what is most important, your recovery and care, or that of your family member or loved one.
Lavelle Partners secures significant settlement for Plaintiff who lost her right fallopian tube and ovary due to overlooked torsion
For further information on making a claim following medical negligence concerning gynaecological or obstetric injury in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or email Avril Scally at [email protected]
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.