Avril Scally is a Partner and Head of Medical Negligence and Personal Injury at Lavelle Partners. She specialises in complex medical negligence claims and is vastly experienced in areas like cancer misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, the CervicalCheck screening controversy, obstetric negligence, wrongful birth, nerve damage, negligent care and surgical negligence.
With more than 16 years’ experience in her field, Avril is well-known within the profession for representing a significant number of claimants in high-profile cases like the Hepatitis C Tribunal and the Surgical Symphysiotomy Payment Scheme.
She acts as a specialist advisor in relation to many medical negligence claims including orthopaedic work, hepatitis and birth injuries including cerebral palsy and Erbs palsy.
She is a go-to expert in relation to complex medical negligence claims for many media outlets and often speaks on the topic of medical negligence at conferences and events and is an active member of the DSBA Litigation Committee. She has been a panel speaker for the Advanced Diploma in Medical Law in the Kings Inn.
In the press
Read Avril’s comments in the Irish Examiner following the French ruling in the ongoing PIP breast implants case.
Read Avril’s thoughts on contracting Covid-19 in the workplace in The Medical Independent.
- Specialist in relation to birth injury/cerebral palsy, Erbs palsy, child deafness and other obstetric claims.
- Represents patients in delayed cancer diagnosis and medical misdiagnosis cases.
- Represented many women who received incorrect smear results in the CervicalCheck screening programme.
- Expert in brain injury claims.
- Represented clients at the High-profile Hepatitis C Tribunal and the Surgical Symphysiotomy Payment Scheme.
- Specialist in orthopaedic negligence claims.
- Member of AVMA (Action Against Medical Accident),
- Member of APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)
- Member of the Litigation Committee of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
- LLB (Hons) 1997
- Diploma in Commercial Litigation, Law Society, 2008