Dermot McClean is a Senior Associate in the Lavelle Partners Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team. He acts for a wide range of clients including both commercial and private clients, banks, financial institutions, liquidators, examiners and administrators of estates.
Dermot works closely with partners Michael Lavelle and Ciarán Leavy, with a particular focus on corporate restructuring work. Dermot has acted in many high-profile corporate restructuring cases including the recent liquidation of Roadbridge Limited. He also acts in defamation actions, insurance disputes, claims involving estates and professional negligence litigation.
- Acting for a number of unsecured creditors of Roadbridge Limited in petitioning the High Court to have Andrew O’Leary of Interpath Advisory appointed as liquidator of the company, which was already in receivership. Read more here.
- Acting for David Van Dessel of Deloitte, liquidator of Murray Walsh Limited in securing a restriction order against the directors of the company formerly behind the well-known O’Connell Street pub, Murrays.
- Acting for a 50% shareholder in Thomas Laurance Management Limited in securing a Mareva injunction from the High Court (freezing order) against the other 50% shareholder, after that shareholder transferred a significant amount of company funds to his personal account.
- Advising in a liquidation of a company, funded by the Revenue Commissioners, where substantial sums of money were recovered following the transfer of assets and debtors from an Irish company to a UK based company. The case resulted in one of the largest recoveries of unpaid taxes in recent years as a result of proceedings being taken personally against the directors and professional negligence proceedings brought against the auditors of the company.
- Acting for St Mary’s Centre (Telford) in relation to applying to the High Court for the appointment of Provisional Liquidators and subsequently acting for the Company in relation to a winding up petition and examinership petition which were heard together. Read more here.
- Acting for Maximum Media Network Limited, in relation to its examinership and the appointment of an examiner over its media business. Read more here.
- Acting for individuals in plaintiff professional negligence cases against Solicitors, Accountants, Architects and Surveyors.
- Acting for individuals in a variety of Plaintiff defamation actions including cases against Independent Newspapers, Facebook and Circle K.
- Acting for Financial Institutions and Venture Capitalist Funds in Judgment proceedings, enforcement actions, appointment of receivers and defence litigation.
- Acting in contentious probate disputes on behalf of both the Executors of Estates and beneficiaries, including actions under S.117 of the Succession Act, 1965 and S.194 of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010.
Awards / Professional Recognition
- Winner of the Law Society Conveyancing Prize, 2016
- Certificate in Data Protection Practice, Law Society of Ireland
- Bachelor in Laws, LL.B., Trinity College Dublin
What our Clients Say
- “Enthusiastic. Driven. Knowledgeable. Intuitive.”