GDPR, Data Protection & Data Breach Solicitors
Businesses, government bodies and many other organisations collect, process and store an increasing amount of information and personal data about members of the public.
A number of laws have been introduced in Ireland and across the EU to protect people’s personal data, but breaches can still happen, putting individual’s data at risk.
It is important to understand your data protection rights in Ireland are protected under legislation such as GDPR (the General Data Protection Regulation) and the Data Protection Act 2018. This is especially true if you have reason to believe your personal data may have been exposed following a data breach.
Our expertise with data protection & data breaches
Our data protection solicitors in Dublin can help with matters including:
- Advising on whether you have a claim for compensation due to a breach of your data protection rights
- Understanding your rights under GDPR, the Data Protection Act 2018 and other relevant legislation
- Assisting with requesting the data companies and other organisations hold on you
- Advising you on your right to be forgotten
- Advising organisations on their reporting obligations where there has been a breach of their data protection responsibilities.
Your data protection rights in Ireland
General data protection principles set out in the relevant pieces of legislation include:
- Your data can only be collected, processed and stored for specifically stated and legitimate purposes
- The data collected must be limited to only what is necessary for the stated purposes
- The data should be accurate and kept up to date
- Your data should be stored for no longer than is necessary for the stated purposes for which it was collected
- Your data should be handled with appropriate security, including against unauthorised access, accidental loss and damage
- You have the right to see what data a company or other organisation holds on you
- You have the right to ask for your data to be deleted where it is no longer required for a legitimate purpose
What to do if your data is exposed following a data breach
If you believe your data may have been exposed following a data breach or that data about you has been stored incorrectly, it is important to seek specialist legal advice from a solicitor as soon as possible.
An experienced data protection solicitor can advise you on your legal rights and options, then help you to take appropriate action to minimise any long-term negative impact.
Under Article 82 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR,) if you have suffered material or non-material damage as the result of a data protection breach, then you have the right to seek compensation. Irish data protection legal proceedings can now include claims for compensation for stress and emotional suffering, whereas prior to the GDPR, only compensation for financial and other material loss could be recovered.
Why choose Lavelle Partners to assist you with data protection or a data breach?
- Our solicitors specialise in data protection, GDPR and data breach issues.
- We are a partner-led firm, meaning a fully qualified and experienced partner will manage your case from start to finish and be available if you have any questions.
- Our solicitors are approachable, hard-working and pragmatic. We will assess your situation objectively and explain your options without unnecessary legal jargon.
- Lavelle Partners is a full-service law firm, so we can offer a range of perspectives covering all of the different issues involved in your case.
- We have a strong track record of handling various highly complex legal disputes in Ireland, so can lend you the benefit of our extensive experience and knowledge.
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.
Contact our data protection solicitors in Dublin
For further information regarding Data Protection and Data Breaches in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or by email to Ciarán Leavy at email@example.com or Dermot McClean at firstname.lastname@example.org .